Tuesday, February 26, 2008

 

Friday February 22, 2008

No matter where you go, there you are. This statement first voiced by a fictional rock-n-roll rocket scientist is so very true. Here I am traveling through the Deep South and everything looks so familiar. Sure, I expected there to be Wal-Marts everywhere but there are Ruby Tuesdays, Big Lots, Dollar General, etc. as well. I drove down one street looking for a place to buy some cat food and it was just like 25th street in Wilson: neck to neck stores, all of them so familiar. But I wasn’t in Pennsylvania, I was in Alabama. I was hoping things would be a little different.

The road kill is certainly different. At first it was mostly skunks then somewhere in Tennessee I saw something that looked like a shaggy dog with long light brown hair and dark brown hairless legs. I couldn’t see its head because it didn’t have one but it was strange looking. Later I saw another creature with a stripe down its back. It was large and long… I suspect it was some kind of badger.

The trees are also different and I will have a great time trying to identify them. In Alabama and Mississippi there are these tall thin pine trees that look somewhat like white pines.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?